WTF issue with the Odroid U3 and the camera

Since several weeks we had trouble using the camera with our Odroid U3. We thought it may be caused by the potentiel short-circuit raised by @lionel here: Mechanical interférence in Webcam fixing in the poppy head

I got new camera and got the same the trouble i.e. the Odroid does not detect the camera when it is plugged (nothing in the dmesg).

With @Theo, we explored several solution and eventually extracted the odroid from the Poppy’s head to tested it directly plugged on a monitor with keyboard and mouse and it works …

After several trials, we find the only one configuration where the camera is working properly: we plug the mouse then the camera… If we start the camera stream and unplug the mouse the streaming crashs.

And no, it does not work with other device, it is just the mouse which makes the camera detected …

I just raised the issue with more details on the odroid forum, I hope there is an answer …
http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=82&t=12409

Just a specific mouse works or it’s with all mouse?

There may be a cat… (Sorry)
I have some trouble with remote ssh on windows. Sometimes it crashes but when i plug screen and mouse and keyboard it is ok. I test the “mouse tip” if i have again the issue.

I tried with 2 usb wired mouse and it works for both. We tried with the dongle of a wireless one and it didn’t work …

Maybe you have damaged the USB power distributor ( TPS2044 equivalent ), but in terms of electronics I don’t understand the reason for the mouse… If you still have the IO board made last year, maybe you can try throught the USB hub embedded to see if it works or not.

Hmmm, I had too some strange issues wiring the ODROID, and only few combinations of usb plug were effective.

As far as I can remember, I had to plug a lot of things on the usb hub in order to success to boot with the network working (?!)
At this moment, on the hub, I have :

• the webcam,
  • the two usb to dynamixel dongle
    and the hub had to be plugged on the right angle odroid usb com port
    in this config, i can add the wifi dongle on one of the two usb com port parallel to the board available.

and if I want to add a mouse or a keyboard, I think I remember I had to use the last hub usb com port avalaible…

so weird…

And your camera is working ?

Yes, absolutely up and running
check done with external hdmi display and guvcview without arguments
(had to plug usb wireless keyb & mouse on hub too, for sending commands, but dunno if necessary for the webcam to work)

Hi,

The webcam seems to be detected (at least in dmesg) when it’s plugged in the hub with the usb2ax. Have you tried that way also? I don’t know about mouse and keyboard plugged, we haven’t tried.

I would guess it’s a problem of power management. The webcam sucks too much from usb port and it cuts to avoid damages. As there’s a capacitor in the hub, it might sove the problem. I will try to investigate that but as it works with the hub it’s not a blocking problem for us.

!!! indeed
I plugged the camera through an USB hub and it works !