Try new aesthetics for Poppy

I was going through the design and though that why cant we improve the overall look along with its functioning. So this thread is basically about the creativity of the robot.

This design resembles Ironman and is for all Ironman fans out there. Similarly we can try for Transformers skins also.

The 3d printed parts can be easily painted through spray paints or aerosols and people can bring creativity out there.

Lets hope that we will get some new ideas here.

4 Likes

Great !

it just needs this:

Ok, I did not see that coming. Look at this image below.

This looks better to me than a naked poppy. I mean no disrespect, the current design is really awesome. Aesthetics is an important part which is to be considered while designing any product. Sometimes we just need to play with it to make something attractive. All the humanoid available like Nao have a well defined body. We cant add weight to the poppy by adding extra body cover. So I though why not to keep the skeleton and improve the looks. Positive feedback might help apart from criticism.

3 Likes

@Noel Great! Aesthetic exploration is indeed an integral part of Poppy project. And aesthetics can also motivate or trigger new ideas.
The Iron Man color is an example: it affords naturally the idea of putting propellers to Poppy, which is a real interesting avenue to pursue
(ambitious of course, but many interesting steps on the way to target).

More generally, the aesthetics of Poppy humanoid can also be explored in terms of its shape: we would love see contributors like you propose shapes with four, five, eight legs or arms, or wheels, or wings, or all at the same time.

The humanoid on which we work at Flowers is only one possible creature among many other possible based on the technological bricks which form the core of Poppy project, and from which anyone can invent its own robot.

And first steps will be possibly made through 3D modelling and simulation.

So do not hesitate: propose wild ideas!

1 Like

I followed many robot developpement and got a sad conclusion about most of them.
we got the chance to get 3D printing available now, allowing very complex parts and if you take most of the actual designs, you see the drawing of most parts is often not more than basic cage for a servo, and looks designed by somebody who made the draft the good old way on paper in 2d.
This leads to a design that is usually ugly and all robot finally looks the same and moves the same.
I think we have to rethink the design to bring back the bio thing. get rid of flat planes, angles etc…
we could even design a complete spine with a 3D print mixing ABS, elastic filament that would be close to the real one, allowing a channel for cable, damping, flexibility etc…
this important since servo motor will probably not be the best choice for futur actuators.
Artificial muscles will ask to get back to the original design as mother nature decided with tendons and bones, especially if you think that 3D printing is a royal way for printing active polymers muscles…
We should even be able to print a full robot (bones , tendons, nerves and muscles ) in one shot.

a good example is the hand of roboy

1 Like

Very good point, this a good idea for starting a new Poppy creature! Let us know if you go in this direction.

Guys
Any idea how the mussels are implemented? Liner Actuator/ tendon wire/ some other ?

For the Roboy, the actuator looks like this:

Globally there is a spring in series with the “tendon” so it’s compliant and the motor change the length of the wire.

1 Like