Electronic integration in Poppy's head

I am beginning the modification of the Poppy’s head to permit the integration of all electronic components.

Components

We will use this topic as the main thread for discussing problems associated.

The new screen take less room in the head than the previous one, thus we have the possibility to reduce a bit the size of the head.

Discussing with @Fdepraetre, we slightly modified the I/O board shape to allow a better integration in the Poppy head. Now the board will have these dimensions:

For the next release of Poppy we want to replace the AX12 motors because they are not reliable, not really compliant and noisy.

However MX-28 are way more expensive (+150-200$/motor) and it is really annoying to add 400$ to the total cost of Poppy just for the head actuation.

There is another model, the AX-18. We have never tested them but they have a metal gearbox so maybe they are more reliable than AX-12.

@Thot can you, please, give us your feedback about AX-18 ? and post a video of them moving to have an idea of the noise they made ?

To sum up, ax-18 are servo more reliable than ax-12 with an higher torque.
Practically, the motor is not the same, it is a maxon. But the gear box is in plastic. I already changed one gear when a child sat on my robot…
So the weight is the same.
Concerning noise, it is largely reduced. I really see the difference when the motor is loaded.

I think it is sufficient to pilot a head.

Soon a video…

1 Like

hope you can help me with this here

I’m curious to know what’s inside Poppy head of the image that I upload for I am about to make a Poppy