Using lynxmotion ssc 32+arduino+Rpi+android phone

I’m deviating from using the dynamixel servos as a base for my robot but I’m using most of the same electronics with the addition of ssc32 servo controller and a smartphone for vision telepresence and sensors.
I’m new to robot controls and so on so I’m having trouble putting everything together. I’ve been doing a ton of research and confusing myself further than I like.
I understand ROS has lubraries that can be used to connect/control the 4 devices (ssc 32, arduino, Rpi,android phone) The ssc32 uses {#p1500t1000 } to control the servos. Is it a simple matter of replacing that control setup in the poppy library code or am I completely alone and have to learn everything from the ground up. I plan on version 2 being the learning bot but this one I want to do more than simply be a marionette attached to my computer as it is now.

Thanks in advance for every aspect of help.

Can you tell us more about your setup. It is hard to understand how the various devices you use are put together. A nice way is to post a picture or a drawing of your current setup and links to the devices you used, especially the servos and the ssc32.

Could you also confirm what is the exact problem you are facing right now (controlling motors with raspberry pi or arduino or ROS ?)

Regarding pypot, It is not that straighforward to add a new low level IO if you are just starting with python. More info here: https://poppy-project.github.io/pypot/extending.html. Also note that pypot is not related to ROS.

So far all I have is the ssc32 servo controller board it connects to the servos and is a great little controller to handle the servos. It’s going to be connected into the rx/TX pins to an arduino. Maybe I’m just “freaking” myself out looking into all this stuff. I’m using lynxmotion servo sequencer to move the servos and save “nodes”. The robot is still mostly a marionette attached to my computer. I’ve never built or programmed a robot before other than a small roomba and it had everything preloaded just assemble and voila. I may have to get a bluetooth sheild for the arduino to talk with the phone but for now it’s just the arduino and ssc 32 board hooked into servos.

You need to go step by step, the bluetooth and the phone comes in after you can control the motors.

Given the picture I guess you followed this instructables: http://www.instructables.com/id/Controlling-Servos-Using-the-SSC-32-Servo-Controll/?ALLSTEPS

Did you made it work? Can you control the servos from the arduino board?

That’s the exact instructables.com that I used. It does work to send code from the arduino to the board to center the servos. I’m thinking I may follow a few of the tutorials and instructables to gain some more knowledge on the programming side. I just got all excited when I built my version of the poppy and with just the computer and servo sequencer software from lynxmotion was able to make it somewhat come to life. I think I’m having one of those cart before the horse issues as I have no idea how to program beside the g code required to run the cnc machines to make some of the parts.
The ssc 32 is a nice little board for controlling the servos. I have two so the second one is the one hooked into the arduino at the moment. Didn’t want to unscrew everything to test out the arduino. I know I need to make baby steps but so far everything I’ve tried has seemed more like leaps and bounds considering a year ago this time I had a bag of 50 hobby servos and an idea. Now I have a robot platform in serious need of a brain.
It does seem to be a Frankenstein monster as is. Parts from here set up from there, couple extra bits that are not part of the original. Plus big plans and no road map.

So I’ve been thinking on my road map to get me where I want to be.
First step ssc 32 servo controller to servos controlled via computer using lynxmotion servo sequencer… check works great.

Step two. Getting arduino uno connected to ssc 32 servo controller. Check.
2.1 making arduino code to run servos thru ssc 32 - need more knowledge,[ plan - run arduino - ssc32 tutorials]

Step three. Connect rasberry pi to work higher functions? More computing power.

Step 4. Connect android phone to arduino uno/Rpi for use of sensor package (camera, speaker, video screen, accelerometers,gyros, telepresence controls etc.)

The end game is ambitious and I know it’s not going to be as easy as simply uploading some premade code I’m just not sure where to start looking for tutorials on what I wish to achieve. There are so many choices and any I have seen, seem to only show half the process with a voila here it works at the end.

1 Like

This is the progress I’ve made so far. I’m awaiting the dedicated arduino uno (my friend needed his back) more filament to finish the adapter housings and remake broken parts after the move :-(. So far with just the lynxmotion ssc-32 controller and their servo sequencer software I can make the arms move and wave, articulate the spine unfortunately I broke the right arm and hand during testing so now robot is a lefty. Still rather proud of what I’ve accomplished just using leftover abs filiment from other projects. It’s rather fragile so I may reinforce things with some fiberglass and hopefully not add to much weight.

2 Likes

Good to know your poppy is moving and has legs!

The parts are not optimized for filament based 3D printing so you might indeed broke some parts on collision…

The dynamixel cases look great. Out of curiosity, what servomotors do you fit inside? Do you have a link?

Next step is to make simple moves using the arduino and to post a little video of simple movements :wink:

I’m using standard servos I got from hobbyking.com for $3/pc. They are a hk15138 http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/_22528__HobbyKing_8482_HK15138_Standard_Analog_Servo_38g_4_3kg_0_17s_US_Warehouse.html ff with plastic gears so I imagine upgrades will be required over time. They advertise a 4km.cm torque which seems to work well in an 5 dof arm project that will lift a can of rootbeer off the table. They do strain on lifting the can higher than 5 or 6 cm but for cheap testing they work great. I do plan on getting stronger servos later or institute bearings and such to take the weight off the servos so it’s only required for rotational forces. But that’s for a later date and probably design of original parts based off the poppy.

I have another post with a link to the stl file for the servo adapter. They work with 22x42x35 mm servos. I think I might make a tutorial on how to assemble “my servos” for the project. But that’s after a redesign to make it easier.

hello new2bots
i’m interest to your project
so can you give me your code arduino for control two leg

thank you

I haven’t gotten around to writing arduino code yet. Right now I’m just using the servo sequencer software from lynxmotion that controls the ssc 32 board from my pc. There are tutorials on the arduino forums. I had a couple of friends working with me on the code but unfortunately we had a falling out before I got any code written for myself. I know the format for the ssc 32 control for servos is P1500T1000 P being position and T time. I’ve never programmed arduino before this is my first robot build.

Hello,
Your project is very interesting and your Poppy very colourful !
I only begin on Arduino and would love to make a robot with it one day.
I know I have a lot to learn before, but if you prove it’s possible to build a Poppy with Arduino and low price servomotors, it could make it more affordable for many people and classes.

I’m looking into stronger motors at the moment and redesigning a few of the parts. I’ve kinda shelved the project for the moment. It’s sort of a comination of the poppy robot and the halley robot that John Choi has made. It is an ambitious project much more so than a couple DC motors and a gyro. I really haven’t gotten around to learning arduino programming yet. One of the reasons I liked the poppy was it seemed plug and play. Then the cost became a challenge. Slowly I’m getting more familiar with arduino through other projects at least uploading and compiling premade code.

Thank you SPR-BITZ is quite colourful. Sort of making it with the remnants of filament from print jobs on my 3d printer. It’s amazing how much filament was actually left inside a “spent” xyz printer cartridges.

Hello friends! Hello new2bots
I’m also making a poppy (humanoide Recife prototype) thinking of lower costs for young students from public schools to build and program in educational activities, using the Arduino first, then thinking of Galileo Gen 2 and finally with the Raspberry Pi.
Also we want to control via Bluetooth phone or tablet. I was very interested in this card you are using…
I’m working with some employees in design, programming and electrical power of the servo motors … but still missing a lot.
Once we have some progress, will be posting in the Humanoid Recife brazilian Poppy

Hello jcammorim. I’ve found some different motors to use with 25kg/cm or something like that for torque. They’re on a slow boat from China so it’ll be a while before I can test them. I have sort of put my project on the back burner yet again. I’m still having issues writing code and haven’t found any local groups to help with the coding.
I have been working on a mobbob robot with my kids. Just a little 4 servo biped. But it uses a smartphone as the main body has an animated face. Can be used as a Skype telepresense robot. Cervenus something or other is the guy who originally started the project.
From other people I’ve chatted with the Halley robot is the best project to follow for using non dynamixel motors. Arduino mega +hc-05 Bluetooth and a custom servo board and a smart phone. So far he only has an upper body programmed but an older red dragon robot has the lower body figured out so with any luck I can mash the code and get a robot.

How are you friend? I hope you received the material that was missing and you already have your project well advanced.
I would like to set up a collaborative group to build the programming and be able to move our experiment completely. Currently
I have been working on the finalization of the electrical part and
external structure of the humanoid, I have studied several possibilities
to control the robot, using a single Arduino UNO and two shields to
control 16 servos each, since I did not find better options.
Hugs and let’s work!

Jcammorim; I am definitely interested in a programming group. I have sidelined Spr-bitz in efforts to make use of time for other endeavors. I have been playing around with unity game engine as a means of programming. On those projects it’s just simple 4 servo BOB robot but it’s made running code and simulating movements first much easier. I’m sure the code isn’t pretty but unity does it all for me which is nice. One of these days I’ll get my robot back onto the forefront and wandering about autonomously. My personal email is cliffordcannon101@yahoo.com I also have my own 3d printer and that has kept me busy with printing projects. The more I deal with arduino the easier it becomes. The Hailey project is actually what inspired me to begin using unity to simulate and code robotics projects. Not only can you create realistic environments to test without harm to the robots. All you have to do is upload the 3d part files assemble your creation and electronics and if coding is available it does the hard work.

New2bots

As I’m only using the arduino for a middle man to parse code to the lynx motion ssc 32 I’ve switched to a bluduino as the connecting devise. It’s small and allows the communication between smartphone and robot for utilizing the sensors and goodies available in the smartphone thus saving cost on multiple sensors. It’s all good in theory with little practical to show for it.