Skills needed in a Poppy Building Team?

Hello everyone,
I am planning to form a team with fellow engineering students to start building and working on a Poppy soon. So I need some advice on the best way to divide the tasks, and what team members/skills we are going to need. I thought you could share some infos from your experience at the Poppy Team, even thought we will not be really conceiving Poppy but just building it at first. Assume we are not experienced and will have to learn on the spot a lot of the stuff we’ll be doing.
So how do you think is it best to divide the roles? I guess for example someone with some 3D modeling experience can manage the 3D printing and ultimately output the printed body, we’ll probably need someone with programming skills? how good? in what languages?
Please help me by outlining the various roles, and skills needed by each team member!
Thanks in advance :smile:

• The library is written in python and has a simple API, so the first step should be easy.
  • If you want to 3D print locally the robot, of course a guy who already experienced the 3D printing is better.
  • The assembly has some tricks, mainly due to the robotis motors, so you should read all the point we had in the documentation category, but at the end it is just a Lego with many screws :slight_smile:
  • You can divide the assembly in 5/6 tasks: legs, arms, trunk and head,
  • Before plugin them together, you can make move each part independently so you can explore a bit the control of the robot on simpler elements.

Maybe you can discuss with @tdasse and @lisa who experienced the building of Poppy with not experienced people.

1 Like

Very useful Thank You!
Yes I will contact them too, or I guess they will have a notification about this post?
How about the control system? need someone skilled in that area?

Hello Ishane, Hello Matthieu,

We actually achieved a Poppy at “La cité des sciences et de l’industrie” in march 2014.
It takes us around 5 people to build it, few people to writte some lines to test simple programms.
Nevertheless, robotix motors are actually tricky !! Without enough reading the documentary, 5 of them on our robot seemed to have burned really quickly and needed to be changed.
As concern plastic pieces, ours have been made by a compagny using powder 3Dprinter.

Please be my guest to ask other or more precise questions. Just so you know, I know approximatly nothing about robots and programming. :slight_smile: but i enjoyed giving life to Poppy at work!

2 Likes

I have assembled a new poppy yesterday and the problem with the robots horn mounting is solved.

1 Like