Roadmap of the project!

We wanted to let everyone know what we had in mind for the future of poppy creatures, what we’re working on and where contribution is more than needed. Hopefully these things will give you a better overview and better ideas of what you can do to help make this project go even further!

Creatures

Each Poppy creature can be derived with several configurations, especially concerning the way they are actuated so it is possible to adapt robots to user needs and wallet. Also, as all Poppy creature are modular, anyone can easily create module to explore alternative design or explore new applications.

Poppy Humanoid

Configurations

• Poppy Humanoid R&D (target price 5k-10k€) using high end MX motors for research and development applications
  • Poppy Humanoid Education (target price <2k€) using AX motors for educators and hobbyists
  • Poppy Humanoid mini (target price ~500€) powered by low cost XL320 motors for people/children thriving to discover robotics

leg modules

• classic humanoid leg module
  • semi-passive feet module
  • big/flat foot

head modules

• LCD screen for emotion/information display
  • Led matrix for emotion display
  • 3-DoF neck
  • alternative neck design inspired by Jibo

hand modules

Poppy Torso

Version of Poppy Humanoid with legs replaced by a torso support so it can be easily put on a table. It is therefore compatible with all Poppy Humanoid’s configurations and modules.

• Support Torso for Poppy Humanoid R&D
  • Support Torso for Poppy Torso Education

Poppy Ergo

configurations

• Poppy Ergo R&D (target price <2k€) using high end MX motors for research and development applications
  • Poppy Ergo Education (target price <1k€) using AX motors for educators and hobbyists
  • Poppy Ergo mini (target price ~150€) powered by low cost XL320 motors for people/children thriving to discover robotics

tip modules

• module to plug the Poppy humanoid head at the tip of an Ergo
  • David Lynch module ?
  • grasping module
  • camera module

More creatures

• Poppy fish: Poppy for aquarium with demineralized water
  • Poppy spider: hexapod

Badass creatures

• Iron Poppy: derived Poppy Humanoid with additional reactors

Virtual creatures

Each creature should have a virtual model so anyone can use it for free.

• Poppy Humanoid/Torso V-REP model
  • Poppy Humanoid/Torso URDF
  • Poppy Ergo V-REP
  • Poppy Ergo URDF model

Creature software

Each creature has a kind of software “package” with some basic code useful for configuration and basic behavior. This package can be extend to a kind of operating system with high-level API, remote control, graphical interface, etc …

Software

Connect pypot with a visual programming tool

REST API

• Specify, document and to implement (partially done: working for motors and primitives)

Develop graphical tools

• for monitoring
  • for managing the way primitives are combined
  • Re-write herborist to make it more robust and remove the Qt dependency (as a web app?)

One-click launcher

• for running v-rep and connect to it using pypot on Win/Mac/Linux

Implement other IOs

• for the dynamixel V2 protocol
  • for gazebo
  • IMU

Primitives

• Better defined primitives and how they can be combined (using paradigm such as Esterel, Antescofo)

Misc

• Working and efficient driver on mac os

Mechanics

3D modeling

• modular openSCAD Poppy library

• web application to change parameter of creature designed with Solidworks

#Electronics
##Poppy 1.0

• LED screen based on rainbowduino (Work in progress)

##Poppy cool features

• Clean LCD screen
  • IO Shield for SODIMM IO-board + PC (odroid like)
  • Mega shield for SODIMM IO-board
  • Foot force sensors module

Documentation

Setup a wiki to host and organize the documentation

• review different techno, needs: possibility to have user from outside writing content, possibility to define privilege
  • find a proper way to include ipython notebook documentation to the wiki

Create a meta documentation

• how to contribute to the documentation (login, workflow, whom should people contact to get access)
  • what is expected in a documentation (level of details, overview first, code examples, link to code source, tutorial video)
  • how to add a project (+ describe what is a typical project, should we validate each project before publication)

Setting up the Odroid board

• the simple way: how to dd a ready to work linux image
  • the hard way: details all the tricky steps (can only be done by steve)

Screens

• LCD screen: acknowledge strongly manga screen project, refer to their doc + add the modif we did, the drivers for Odroid…
  • LED screen: where to buy the parts, how to assemble them, how to control them, code, link to higher level package (facial expression), a video of demo

V-Rep

• how to install it
  • how to import a robot
  • how to link pypot and V-Rep
  • testing your install + video

Technical details

• global view of the architecture of Poppy creatures, pypot, elec, hardware. This includes how we chose to organize the repositories, our philosophy (open-source…), how to contribute, how to report a problem…
  • the philosophy behind pypot, modularity, primitives.
  • how to contribute to pypot: low-level, high-level
  • using herborist
  • poppy humanoid: small story, how to get the parts, how to build it (video, tuto, motor orientation), motor groups, motor groups in pypot (aliases for motors). How to test the robot is correctly built? high level behaviors (examples), Web interface (Odroid stuff). V-Rep simulation. Face tracking…
  • ergo robot: small story (fondation cartier), how to get the parts, how to build it (video, tuto, motor orientation), motor groups, motor groups in pypot (aliases for motors). How to test the robot is correctly built? high level behaviors (examples), V-Rep simulation
3 Likes

I was wondering how Poppy Humanoid mini version is different with the other two besides the motors. Is it programmable with controllers like Odroid? And is it in the same size as the Poppy Humanoid R&D?

Another quick question, when is this kit expected to be released?

Thank you very much!

Lethic

The Poppy Humanoid mini only exists in our mind at the moment. So there is not really any specification or release date :slight_smile:

Yet, we already have working prototype of poppy creature with XL-320 motors:

It will be possible to control them using a simple raspberry pi or just an arduino board.

That is really cool! Thanks!

I was checking the 3D-print stuff on your website. If XL-320 motors are equipped, will there be any difference in 3D-printing with the ones using MX motors?

Thanks again!

Lethic

Any news about the Poppy humanoid mini powered by XL-320 motors mentionned on the first post ?

It is on the todo list but for the moment at 0% development stage …

From our side (i.e. Flowers Lab), I think we won’t do it before at least one year…

But pypot is XL320 ready so I guess we can open a call for contributions for the robot design ?

It’s a great idea, i can try to develop something from my side but i need a XL-320 compatible Poppy humanoid skeleton, but if we take the actual skeleton, minimize it and just modify the motors housing, it seems to work doesn’t it ?

what is spent thing in the main it?
when we are about to make a

Hi @mettechr, I think your post got truncated for some reason.
Could you please fill the blanks and explain the picture?

We are curious to know what’s inside Poppy’s head on that picture, and the purpose of this assembly :slightly_smiling:

hi Damin
I curious to know what’s inside Poppy head of the image which I upload when I’m about to make a Poppy :slightly_smiling:

Haha I thought it was a creation of yours @mettechr.

@Matthieu just told me that he made it. Since this is way beyond my engineering skills, I’ll let him explain what this head is all about.

By the way, where did you find the picture?

Okay so I hope that he can help me
the image is found in here in any pictures of the