[solved] Poppy Install V1.1: SD card boot not working

Hello everyone,
I have installed an SD card as described in this Git hub Repo:

I copied the Odroid ubunut stuff on my SD card, and then plug it into the ODroid U3 board.
I switch on the robot… but the old system is still there :frowning:, it seems that ODROID doesnot boot from the SD card.

Am i doing something wrong ?
Is it my copy on the SD card not working ?

cheers.

Into the Odroid you have Two differents memory support, EMMC and µSD card.
The EMMC is the first try during the boot phase. If you have both memory (µSD card and EMMC) mounted on your board your Odroid will probably use the EMMC memory.

Try to remove the EMMC memory and it should work!

Yes, I have an eMMC memory card on the ODROID.

I removed the eMMC, and put the SD card, I switched on the poppy but got not reaction.
I got only a red power led on and the USB hub ruuning (blue led).

Hum, I looked at my SD card, my MAC just say -> Windows FAT 32, not initialized, 32 gigas bytes free… hum strange ! I did copy the Ubuntu image for ODRID U3 using the command DD … OF …

any idea?

PS: By the way this one is plug onto odroid by a little ‘clip’… it happens that the eMMC memory falls down (especially when I shake the head of poppy… when he doesnot listen to me!!). so becareful sometimes :wink:
cheers.

I have sometime problems with dd to ‘burn’ iso on usb keys. When it occurs the time to write an iso is unusually fast (> 30MB/s)
It sometime solves the problem to specify the block size:

sudo dd if=iso/path of=/dev/sdX bs=1M

But, by the way, the eMMC comes with ubuntu preinstalled, no ?

Thanks for this command line. I am currently doing it.
strange, bad value for the bs=1M.
I am investigating

Yeap the eMMC card comes with a pre installed version of Ubuntu.

In fact, I am trying to install Poppy V1.1 on a SDCARD as I have the version V1.0.

On V1.1 the WIFI works much better ! this is why I want to upgrade.

On V1.0 there is a nice Tracking/webcam application which has not been installed on the V1.1
I use two card: V1.0 on eMMC, and V.1 on the SD card :smile:
Like this I can switch from one version to another one :slight_smile:

I keep you inform on the copy, etc…

the copy works:

sudo dd if=ubuntu-14.04.1lts-lubuntu-odroid-u-20140814.img of=/dev/disk1s1 bs=1000k

:slight_smile: I keep you inform…

It doesnot boot :frowning: like before.
I think my copy on my SD is wrong ?

• how can I check if my SD card copy is okay ?

It’s a tricks of OSX, it is not the GNU dd but the Apple one :hear_no_evil:. Instead of “1M” you have to use “1m”…

I think this doc may help you (you have to unmount your usb key before to use dd with unmountDisk)

You can make a checksum of the image and compare with the checksum of you usb key.
For example (not tested):

sha1sum /dev/disk1s1
sha1sum ubuntu-14.04.1lts-lubuntu-odroid-u-20140814.img

In mac you have to change something like @Theo said :

1M =>1m

If you use /dev/disk1s1 you will copy your image into the first partition of your SD but you have to change the file format. Try to just use the SD root : /dev/disk1 :

sudo dd  bs=1m if=ubuntu-14.04.1lts-lubuntu-odroid-u-20140814.img of=/dev/disk1

I update the tutorial on github for you( without try it). Can you test my lines added on the readme and give me your results?

Arrf, you are right, I am copying on the partition part on not the entire disk (well with bootstrap)…
I am redoing it. I keep you inform.

I realy like this projet and community, I always get nice answer (and quick) from all the members !!!
Big thanks :slight_smile:

It’s booting and I could conect using ssh odroid…
:smile:

I continue the installation and keep you inform on my progress.

Big big thanks for your help !

Perfect, everything is now working. Once I finished with the ‘dd’ command + reboot + I followed the instructions described on github -> https://github.com/poppy-project/poppy_install to install the Pypot libs and more.

everything now seems to work (I have my ubuntu OS + Pypot and other poppy stuff installed on the ODROID U3 card) and I could configure the wireless using my web browser when I connect to poppy via http://poppy.local

I am now starting to look at the ipython notebook server (I am trying to start the server and check that I can access it from my web browser). I keep you inform.

– consider this topic closed :slight_smile:
I will open another thread for the ipython notebook server.

cheers.