New Design I/O Board

The first I/O Board is almost ended. You can see the top side on the picture below.

This board is composed with:

We integrate one accelerometer and one gyroscope to allow a control about the head move.

These sensors are connected via the TWI to the Arduino Due.

#I/O Board

##Alimentation
First of all, the I/O Board has two ways to be powered. One by the alimentation connector, which is allowed for when you use the entire robot, and a second by the programming port, but you don’t power the ODROID. This protection is here to permit the reprogrammation of the Arduino part without the consumption of the ODROID ( theoretically 2A at max which is very big for USB port).

##USB HUB
The second part is the USB Hub. It allows a simple connection with every part of the I/O Board. Moreover we have prefered to keep a real USB communication ( in opposition to USB2Serial communication) between Arduino Due Part and Hub.
The direct integration of the USB hub has suppressed the connectors and lightened the I/O Board.

##USB2AX

They are directly connected on the USB Hub. So you can use the script made by Nicolas Saugnier to reprogram the device.

But please be carefull if you reprogram the device, we have suppressed the solder point between RX and TX.

The integration of the USB2AX was from the source that you can found here.

Sensors

Accelerometer ADXL345

The accelerometer have four measurement range:

• 2g with 10-bit output resolution
  • 4g with 11-bit output resolution
  • 8g with 12-bit output resolution
  • 16g with 13-bit output resolution

The output data rate is up to 3200Hz

Gyroscope ITG-3200

The gyroscope give a value with an output data rate up to 36kHz with a separation at 1.7kHz.

The full scale range is ± 2000°/s with a 16-bits Gyro ADC word length

##Arduino Due
We have chosen to integrate an Arduino Due for two reason:

1. The ATSAM is the newest technology of ARM core
  2. The Arduino Due is the only board Arduino compatible with ARM microcontroller

In order to allows an evolution of the board, and to authorize other usage of it, we have kept some headers like on the arduino Due.

See the pin mapping below.

The name of the Pin is the same to the arduino due. This property is necessary to be compatible with Arduino.

4 Likes

Can you add the details about the sensors ? What are range and precision of them ?

Did you put all input/ouput for the Arduino Due (i.e. 54 digital and 12 analog) ? It does not seem so.

Update needed to finish the head:

• add 2 usb ports on the board with the same connector as the camera
  • replace accelero/gyro by a MPU6000
  • add 3/4 fixations holes
  • reduce the longer dimension by 4 mm (there is plenty of useless room on the right)
  • try to shift (as possible) the input usb port to the back

@Steve, @Nicolas is it something you can easily do ?

What do you mean about it?

It could be a good way to test upverters!
I don’t have many time this two weeks coming, but i can do this after if you want.

I do not think it is possible to import KiCAD project …

Alex say:

Hi Nicolas, we had to turn the KiCad import off because they keep changing the format. Do you have a lot of KiCad files to import? We might be able to come up with a solution depending on how big the projects are, and how many you need to import.

Can you send me the kicad projet @Matthieu?

https://github.com/poppy-project/poppy-electronics/tree/master/CarteIo

OK, no upverters it’s too long:

I've asked the team about KiCAD, and it sounds like we haven't built PCB import for it yet. It would probably take a few months to get working if we started on it now, which is probably longer than you would want to wait. How long do you think it would take to rebuild in Upverter? 

@Steve you can do something?

Sorry, I’m affraid I can’t speed up Upverter dev… :slight_smile:
But serioulsy, what Upverter can import? Maybe we can convert the Kicad Project to something Upverter understand?

For the moment they can officially import only Altium projects (directly with the website).
Altium can import many kind of project but i don’t see Kicad…

Another way is to use the upverter converters lib. I talked about this solution with Alex but I’m not sure he has taken into account!

Unfortunately I don’t think we can import Kicad .brd into Upverter…
There are lot of conversion from X to Kicad but nothing for the opposite.
The Upverter converter lib only works for schematics.

This is where the WiFi floating wireless network should start, with this board. The USB hub, should go straight to the WiFi Dongle.

Yep there is a USB port available, we could indeed plug-it to a wifi dongle. Do you know good and small wifi dongle ?