Poppy electric power supply

I had a question about electric power of Poppy. Is the Robotis power supply sufficient for all the servo motors? is there a risk about wires if all power goes in one wire? If you have any, a electric schematic could be useful.

Thanks.

This is a really good question!
Poppy do his job with the robotis power supply.
We have plan to test a Poppy with a strongest AC/DC than the robotis one but we don’t had time to do this at the moment…
I can’t assure you there is no burning risk if you have a realy stronger power.
I do a small paint for you :

In the lab we plug the robotis power supply in one of the two 12V input of the robot. With this configuration the critical wire is the small black one between “robotis power plugs”.
To avoid any trouble with this wire, you could have a custom input wire with 2 output (one output per “robotis power plug”).

WARNING : DO NOT USE TWO DIFFERENT POWER SUPPLY!

With a stronger input you should have better performances! Please, give us some news about that if you do it.

2 Likes

Thanks for the answer. I tried two independant circuits (1 for legs, 1 for upper body) but I will try with one circuit. If you had not any trouble I will go on this way.
I bought a stronger lab alim but i will test it later.

Hi guys !

I thank you for the precious information you gave us :smile:
Maybe that are stupid questions but I want to understand a couple of things about the poppy energetic dimension to change the architecure and may be add a battery or a servo … Is there a nominal intensity per kind of servo ? Even if the servo speed is controlled, there must be a minimum intensity to put in ? I searched on the Internet but the info is nowhere …
For example, all the 25 servos in Poppy Humanoid are settled in a bypass circuit and runs at the same voltage with a 5A input intensity. So the intensity for the AX-12, the MX-28 and the MX-64 is 0.2A each. Am I right ? And if I do the same with the Poppy Ergo Junior with 2A and 6 XL-320 I get 0.33A per XL-320. Still Right ?

Thank you !

Yes you’re write, We never tryed to put a better power supply into Poppy.
@Theo has planned to look at this…

I am not sure you understand well the notion of current. 5A power supply means that all electronics can use up to 5A in average, it doesn’t mean that the current limit will be reached every time ! You can use a very expensive 12V 50A power supply, motors will use the same current than with a 12V10A…

BTW, I made some preliminary tests on poppy-torso. I’ll update it later for poppy-humanoid:

If someone want to improve it, I made a online version with ethercalc

1 Like

I need a reliable power supply for Poppy for the “School of Moon” project with 4 embedded Li-Po 2200mAh 11.4V batteries.
I had the idea to take one battery for ODROID and the 3 others switchable. I able designing a switch for Poppy.
I wondered about a remote controlled switch but it is too complicated to be ready for the 10/01/2016. I prefer a small switch box behind the robot. If a battery is dead, then I say to a dancer on stage to switch to the other battery.
The batteries are then NOT in parallel and I can manage a backup battery.

I am designing the switch box.