Poppy project at La cité des sciences et de l'industrie

And S3 screws are to fix in whixh part?

You will need S screws for:

• mounting AX-12 motors
  • Attach the hands to the forearms
  • Attach the two part of the head together
  • Fix the feet on the Robotis FR07-H101

Ordering the bioloid bolt pack is more simple and some kind of screws set are not useful for building Poppy.
S3 can be use if you have not enough S2

Hi,
We are trying to control the MX-28 motors but when we are reading the port we have to specify the baudrate (57600) : “dxl_io = pypot.dynamixel.DxlIO(port,baudrate_MX_28)“
otherwise it’s impossible to get the id (scan method fails). Then we make the configuration file .json, but it cannot communicate with the motor :” DxlError: Could not find the motors (1,) on bus COM3.” We think it’s also because the baudrate is not specified but when we looked in the pypot doc we didn’t find a way to specify it in the configuration file… Could you help us?
PS: it works perfectly with AX-12A motors.

Thank you

OK so to answer I need more information

• Are you using Windows ?
  • Are you using USB2AX dongles ?
  • Are commands dxl_io = pypot.dynamixel.DxlIO(port,baudrate_MX_28) and dxl_io.scan() working ?

Could you indicate us which screw is where ? We have some difficulties attributing screw… :confused:

We are using Windows, we are using USB2Dynamixel (dongle usb-ttl) and both commands are working.

Wrench Bolt M23 --> For the fixing 3D parts to the MX-28 horn
Wrench Bolt M2.5
4 --> For the fixing 3D parts to the MX-64 horn (the hip_y motors)
Wrench Bolt M2.56 --> For attaching MX motors to 3D parts
Wrench Bolt M2.5
8 --> For attaching horn to MX-28
Wrench Bolt M3*8 --> For attaching horn to MX-64

To attach a motor to a 3D printed part, you have to put M2.5 nuts the motor:

Ok so you should download the Dynamixel Wizard, I updated the topic for the Dynamixel configuration with information needed:

When you have installed the RoboPlus software, look for the Dynamixel Wizard. Take each motor one by one and give them an unique ID and set the baudrate to 1Mbaud as explained here:

Thank you, You are downloading the software, 1 hour left :).
We will try tomorrow. By the way could you give us your configuration file for the whole robot.

Ok so here is an alternative using only pypot to set baudrate to 1Mbaud:

import pypot.dynamixel

COMPORT = 'PORT'
dxl_io = pypot.dynamixel.DxlIO(COMPORT, baudrate=57142.9)
ids = dxl_io.scan()
new_baud = dict(zip(ids, [1000000]*len(ids)))
dxl_io.change_baudrate(new_baud)
dxl_io.close()
dxl_io = pypot.dynamixel.DxlIO(COMPORT, baudrate=1000000)
print dxl_io.scan()

The configuration file for the whole robot can be found on the poppy-software repository.
First you need to install it. The best option would be to clone the repository but it is fine if you just download the last version.

Once you have the poppy-software folder, move it where you want and then install it.
Open a console:

cd path/to/poppy-software
python setup.py develop

Then have just to run the poppy_config_generator.py script after replacing your COM port:

poppy_config['controllers']['lower_body_controller']['port'] = "COM8"
poppy_config['controllers']['upper_body_controller']['port'] = "COM7"

cd path/to/poppy-software
cd poppytools/configuration
python poppy_config_generator.py

It will generate a .json file with the configuration of the whole robot. After that you will able to use it as follow:

import pypot.robot
from poppytools.configuration.config import poppy_config

poppy = pypot.robot.from_config(poppy_config)

Jour 1 :
We had some difficulties in assembling motors horn, and assigning screws, but we succeded in building arms, legs, feet and head…

Ok so I just put the instruction for the trunk and I am taking picture to explain how to wire the robot.

Hop here is the connection instruction for the hip:

And an other one with a general view of the connections:

I saw you are close to the end:

On n'y est presque ! #poppy Dernière ligne droite ! @poppy_project @citedessciences @Zone3Villette pic.twitter.com/73USUNBKFb

— robotprojectzone3 (@robotzone3) March 23, 2014

Can you post some HD pictures for me to control if everything is fine before you plug the robot ?

this is quite the end…

poppy is finished!!
We are now hopping that it is well built… :slight_smile:

From these picture, I only see one problem on the arms:

You can compare with the 3D view of the upper_limb.SLDASM. Yet it will not cause problem to make the robot move, so you can postpone this correction.

Maybe you will have issues with the zero position of the shoulder motors. The right one seems Ok but I cannot see well the left one.

Some news about poppy at La cité des sciences et de l’industrie :
In April the 9th, Poppy took part to the opening ceremony of the exhibition “Art robotique” in la cité des sciences.

Poppy team was proud to prensent it to visitors, who shew great interest.

Since 3 weeks, Poppy took part to the science show “L’ère des Robots” ( http://www.cite-sciences.fr/fr/au-programme/expos-temporaires/art-robotique/autour-de-lexposition/animations/ ).

For the moment, one of knee motors of poppy is dead, so Poppy can just move higher part of his body. But it will be soon repaired!

1 Like

Some results of Poppy week end at La cité des sciences : 21 participants (aged from 23 to 46) with various backgrounds (informatics, lectronics, physics, sociology, mecanics, architecture) had come to build Poppy, developing python use of Poppy, thinking about use of Poppy.

Near to 100 visitors came to visit the workshop, and we explained them Poppy history and workshop goal.

One idea that came from poppy week end from two young students : 3D printing of an ankle that could give some articulated movement to Poppy’s feet.

Participants were very pleased of having participated of Poppy birth, and many of them want to come again to go on working on Poppy project!